Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review - Switched by Amanda Hocking (Trylle Trilogy #1)

Picture from Chapters.ca
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy
Format: Paperback (318 pages)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date:  January 3rd 2012
Rating: 4/5
Source: Bought from Costco =)
Get it at: Chapters | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Summary from Goodreads:

When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…

What I think:

Switched was definitely a fast pace book. The plot was interesting and I managed it to finish it within 5 hours. I just wish they would explain the characters a little bit more. A lot of parts, especially the ending was way too rushed and sudden.

I've seen this book on display at pretty much every single Chapters that I have crossed path with. I was skeptical at first because despite the undeniably pretty cover, I thought the story would be mediocre (Wolves of the Mercy Falls series have a pretty cover, but story was pretty disappointing). Anyways, I went to Costco for grocery shopping and found the book selling for $5 USD, so didn't hurt to buy the whole series. What really pulled me in was the way how the author opened the story with a very powerful flashback and everything just settled wonderfully from there.


The story was about these magical beings living along side of humans as many fantasy story. However, when each of these magical beings have a child, they would switch the child with one of a human baby. As the magical being baby grow up, they would get picked up by one of the "guardian" and be returned to their original family. I thought the idea was interesting and that theses magical beings are trolls, known as "Trylle" instead of the normal fairies raising human babies. Although the story was interesting, it did not explain the things that the protagonist, Wendy, did not understand. I felt really confuse after I read the book because there was no explanations to the mysteries that seemed to be dropped all over the book.


As for character development, there were none. Characters were the same from start to finish. I thought the romance/relationship between Finn and Wendy seemed to be unreal. I was rooting for them in the beginning but toward the middle, I'm pretty certain that those two are not going to happen since to me, they were jsut lusting over each other. After reading the extra part that came with this edition I'm have a feeling that Finn and Wendy will not end up together. I love the extra insert in this edition because I have the change to know the antagonists.

Since this is such a quick read, I'll be reading the second book as well (I got the whole series at once since each book was super cheap!).
Rating:

2 comments:

  1. USD5 only? That was so worth it! I was also rooting for Finn... Ah well... *sigh* Next book is going to be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next book is better! I am looking forward to the conclusion and see if my guesses were accurate hahahaha =D

      Haha that book section of the wholesale grocery place doesn't have that much selection. Maybe like 3 popular series per month? At the moment it's Trylle and Divergent. The rest of the section is children books haha...

      Delete