Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Delirium #1)

Picture from Chapters.ca
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Dystopia
Format
: Trade Paperback (470 pages)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 7th 2012
Rating: 5/5
Source: Bought from Chapters
Get it at: Chapters | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Summary from Goodreads:

They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.

My Thoughts:

The story is about Lena, a seventeen years old girl that is anxiously waiting for her eighteenth's birthday for her surgery in which all teens get on their birthday. This surgery is said to be mandatory in order to permanently remove Love from a person, to make society equal. Love is regard as a disease in Lena's society as it can make someone mad or worse, death. However, after meeting with a certain government regulator, Alex, or so Lena first thought, she begin to find herself facing the new, forbidden emotion. Perhaps the what she heard about Love is not what it seems anymore.

Delirium was such an enchanting and astounding book. Few books have yet to touched me deeply, however Delirium did the job just find. The story was very well written and I can imagine every single details as I read each pages. Lauren Oliver did such a great job convincing me that "Love" is actually a deadly thing since, at first, I thought that there is no way one can live in a loveless world.





I particularly love how the layout of the chapters were set up. . Each chapter begins with a quotes to help the readers understand how Lena's society works. These quotes are from well known fairy tales or nursery rhymes that we all have heard when we were little but they are all twisted. This reminds me of "Ring around the Rosies", something that I sang practically all the time while playing with other kids when I was younger. Something with such a happy tune that literally means the Black Plague. The ending was heartbreaking and I don't know if I ever read something like that before. 

Overall, Delirium was  hauntingly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment